Friday, February 26, 2010

Mothering Two Different Types of Boys

I love my boys. There's nothing I wouldn't do for either of them. They are two totally different types of children, however. I was thinking about that tonight at dinner. There we were at the table--my mom, my dad, my husband, Brad and myself and we were talking about Drew and how he had to serve a detention for the 2nd time this week. Brad kept chiming in about what Drew had done and I could tell that the wheels in his head were turning, thinking about what not to do in the future. It's funny (odd) to think about their differences because they're literally like night and day.

Drew is impulsive like me. He does things without thinking them through. Brad is my analyzer. He has always been an observer and will think about things before he does them. Drew is not a high achiever when it comes to academics. He gets average grades and test scores but for him, school is a social call. Brad has friends at school but he's always been in love with learning. He will be testing for the gifted and talented program at his school and is a fantastic reader. Drew is a born entertainer--he played saxophone in the band last year, he is a great actor and singer and Brad is my athlete. Drew wants to be an actor or a model (he's a gorgeous child)and Brad wants to be in the football hall of fame.

I don't want much out of this life. I don't hope to live in a mansion and have gobs of money, I don't need to drive a luxury car to be happy. But I am so excited to watch these boys' lives unfold, supporting them every step of the way. I want to see what God has planned for them and how He will use them in the overall scheme of things. These are two very special boys who have so much ahead of them and I feel so blessed to be their mother.







1 comment:

Don said...

This excerpt almost made me tear @ I don't want much out of this life. I don't hope to live in a mansion and have gobs of money, I don't need to drive a luxury car to be happy. But I am so excited to watch these boys' lives unfold, supporting them every step of the way. I want to see what God has planned for them and how He will use them in the overall scheme of things.

I won't go into detail but I will say that I have two young daughters who I haven't been able to see nor hear from in over four years. It once tortured me ... now I think the heartache and pain has numbed me.

I said all that to say this - I feel you on the love that you have for your sons. Especially where you stated how YOU do not want all of this and that. YOU just merely want to see YOUR family come of age and that says MUCH about YOU as a human being.

Beautiful and heartfelt post. Thank you very much for sharing.