Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Total Loss for Words...

I found out today that a close family friend that we've known for years passed away this morning of a massive heart attack.

It's always hard to deal with death but when it's unexpected and sudden, it's a complete blow to the stomach. When my mom broke the news this afternoon, I cried and I can't stop thinking about it.

Actually, I can't stop thinking about him. The friendly and animated way he'd tell a story, the way he and my dad would laugh together... I'm remembering one of the last times we saw he and his wife. They were in from out of town and we met them and my parents for supper at Babe's.

Afterward, we all went to one of my favorite karaoke bars because they wanted to hear me sing; they were both so supportive of me when it came to my singing. I remember singing an old Juice Newton song, Break It To Me Gently and when it was over they both had tears in their eyes and they told me how proud of me they were. Thinking on it now makes me cry.

I want to call his wife and his son (who's one of my brother's best friends) to express my sympathy but I think it's too soon right now. My dad told us at supper tonight that when Jeff called to give them the news, he said, "My dad would have wanted ya'll to know right away because he loved ya'll so much."

I am so thankful to have known John and am doubly sad to know that the world is now without such a wonderful person.

No comments: