Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A New Story

The boys and I started reading a new book last night. I know we're two chapters away from finishing The Mouse and the Motorcycle but it took us far too long to read that one (sorry, Beverly Cleary, but this was not a very exciting story). Besides, I've been dying to start reading The Phantom Tollbooth. I never read that one as a kid and it's one we've had on the shelf forever, patiently waiting to be read. I was hooked after reading the back cover and how Milo "visits the Island of Conclusions (you get there by jumping)" and how he embarks on a quest to save Rhyme and Reason.

We read the first two chapters last night and I really like the wisdom of Norton Juster--the author--and how he writes. For example, Milo comes upon a house, Expectations and encounters the Wheather Man. The Whether Man tells Milo, "Expect everything, I always say, and the unexpected never happens." I can tell this is going to be a great book and I'm really excited for story time before bed! I have made a list of interesting books I think they'd both enjoy which includes Superfudge (Judy Blume), A Wrinkle in Time (Madeline L'Engle), Where the Red Fern Grows (Wilson Rawls), and Howliday Inn (James Howe) to name a few.

Phantom tollbooth Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

Janna said...

My mom and I read that one together and a lot of children's theatre's perform it.

It's definitely a diversion from the normal chapter book.

I'm so glad you read to your boys even though they know how to read on their own now.

I loved your comment on my blog about the football player sugar packets!