Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Song For You

Isn't it funny how a song triggers so many memories? I was thinking about that on my way to work this morning. The song "If" by Bread came on an oldies radio station and it immediately made me think of my oldest son. When he was very little (probably 2 or 3) I used to play Bread's greatest hits CD in the car and he absolutely loved that song. Now, every time I hear it, I think of him strapped in his carseat, thumb in his mouth clutching his blanket and humming along to the song.
Now that he's older, I think of him every time I hear "So Long Self" by Mercyme.

I have at least one song for each of my boys. Every time I hear Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" I think about my youngest as a newborn. I'll never forget: it was one of the first nights we had him home from the hospital and I had gotten up with him in the night to give him a bottle. I turned on VH1 to have music to rock him by and the video for that song came on as soon as we sat down. It was beautiful and soothing and he was in such a peaceful state. I'm always taken right back to that glider rocker in the middle of the night holding this tiny baby every time I hear the song.

My song for my hubby will ALWAYS be "Love Fool" by the Cardigans. It was just becoming popular when we first met and we were on the phone late one night and he randomly just broke into song with the line, "love me, love me" and I remember how it caught him off-guard that I was so amused by it and we both laughed really hard! He and I still chuckle anytime we're together and the song happens to come on the radio.

Music holds so many great memories for me. Blame it on my nostalgic personality. There's hardly a song that brings back a bad or even a sad memory for me. "Even if the whole world has forgotten, the song remembers when..." (The Song Remembers When, Trisha Yearwood)

No comments: