Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's Only An Illusion

So, I do a lot of singing. A LOT of singing. I've been at it since age 10 and I've said it a million times before: it's the activity I love most in life and as such, singing goes hand-in-hand with performing. As a performer, I get the audience involved. I have to or else I'm just up there for my own benefit and that's NOT why I sing. At oprys and family shows, naturally, I stick with songs that are great for entertaining people of all ages. At karaoke, on the otherhand...

Case in point: last night we're at karaoke in Euless and the night is almost over so I'm singing a total BS fun song, "I Touch Myself" by the Divinlys. I'm not caring about anyone in the room at this point because, whatever. After I sing this song, I had a man come up to me and he was like, "Excuse me. Is that a wedding ring on your finger?" Yes. "And how's that working for you?" I'm definitely not going anywhere. "How often do ya'll come up here? I'd love to watch you sing again." Ugh. People, entertaining is like a second job to me. It's an illusion. It's a show. Sure I might sing about "touching myself" but it's only a song. It doesn't mean I'm going home with someone other than my husband. I might get out and shake my booty to "Pussy Control" by Prince and gyrate the hips a little but c'mon. Really? Not a chance!

No comments: