Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Je ne sais...

Have you ever had to cut a friend loose? Well, today I did. Okay, I am a really nice person (too nice, actually) and I give people a lot of chances but more than anything, I hate being in one-sided friendships. I mean, I completely understand that people lead busy lives and that I won't hear from my friends on a daily basis and that's okay! However, I DO have a problem when one minute, I'm hearing from friends on a daily basis and then it suddenly gets to where I'm hearing from them when they can fit it into their schedule.

I won't name names but case in point: friend is single for a long time. I hear from friend on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day. Even when said friend has no cell phone, I still hear from friend via myspace or email. Friend gets girlfriend and suddenly the tides turn. I hear from friend at random and every attempt I make for friend and girlfriend to meet up with us to hang out is denied. I have specifically invited friend out on at least 4-5 occasions recently and every single time, there's a reason why it just doesn't work out. Coincidence? It makes me wonder and frankly, it irritates me.

You know, I hardly EVER ask anything of anyone. Is it so much to ask for a little respect from people who are "friends"? And people wonder why I have such a hard time with wanting to let new people into my circle or why I have issues with self-worth. Hell, if I continue letting people act as though I'm a convenience, I'm never going to get anywhere. I don't know. Readers, I'm asking for advice. Is cutting out friends like this too extreme? How many times can I give people the benefit of the doubt? How many times can I accept the, "I'm busy" excuse? I hate to use the word excuse but damn. I'm just really, really tired of being the greatest thing since sliced bread one minute and a discarded toy the next.

No comments: