Monday, August 11, 2008

The Olympics

I LOVE the Olympics! I have been watching them ever since they started and I am absolutely awestruck by the athleticism of everyone. I love the fact that they put in long hours to be amazing at their sport and I love how it pays off in the end for everyone involved (not just the US athletes). Last night Robert and I watched the men's 4x100M free relay and I think I've played it over a million times. Jason Lezak gave probably the best performance of any anchor leg of a relay that I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong: they ALL swam well, but damn, Lezak was incredible! The best part about these athletes is that in a sport like swimming, it's all heart. There is no professional swimming league where they have a chance to make a million+ dollars a year like the NBA or NFL. It's the pure love of the sport. And how classy of Phelps to congratulate the French anchor, Alain Bernard after the victory! He didn't have to do that, especially after Bernard was quoted as saying: "The Americans? We're going to smash them. That's what we came here for." I love being a witness to history.

No comments: