Monday, August 25, 2008

Today I let him go...


I sent my youngest child into the big, bad world today. Brad started kindergarten. I've honestly been dreading this day all summer and it finally came. I knew I would be upset just like I was upset when Drew started kindergarten. It's so different, though, because he's the baby. He's it. We're not having any more children and the realization that he's getting so big really hit me this morning. I didn't cry as much as I thought I would, but my throat got tight and my eyes started blurring with tears when I let go of his hand. I didn't dare speak because I knew I would lose it and I didn't want to scare or worry him. My hubby tried to rationalize for me like only he can do: "Well, he really should be a first grader." We chose to hold him back a year to give him some time to mature and I'm really glad we did because he was ready. He didn't look back and that confidence made letting go a little easier.

1 comment:

Don said...

Aw man I remember the first time my oldest daughter went to school...she was crying like a baby. She had gotten so used to daycare. All she kept saying was I want to go back to 'the little school.'